Several years ago, Bob and I traveled to South Korea for our son’s wedding. We researched to determine what we needed to do before leaving. We soon realized that we needed additional inoculations, required health insurance coverage that would cover us in South Korea, and we added worldwide coverage to our cell phones. This allowed us to have a safe, relaxed trip and we were able to really enjoy the wedding.
Maybe you plan to visit someone for Thanksgiving or Christmas or maybe you are traveling to warmer temperatures for a few months. Statistics from the Bureau of Transportation show an average of 67 million passengers loaded up their suitcases and boarded a plane for some destination worldwide each month in 2012.
Traveling can be stressful, but if you take the necessary precautions to keep your home, belongings, and yourself safe, you will be able to focus on having a fun trip and some great adventures. Following are a few tips to help you plan for your travel:
Make a Check List.
- Turn down your hot water heater.
- Adjust the thermostat on your furnace.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked.
- User a timer for your lights so that it looks like someone is home.
- If you have an alarm, turn it on.
Talk to your insurance agent.
- Personal property is a part of your homeowner’s policy so make a list of the items that you are taking with you.
- If you are traveling worldwide, you may need to get special health insurance coverage.
- If you plan to rent a car be sure to read our post about Collision Damage Waiver or Car Rental Insurance or give us a call.
Plan for personal safety.
- Leave an itinerary with a friend or family member, so you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
- If traveling outside of the US, verify that your cell phone will work at your destination.
- Consult resources such as the US Bureau of Consular Affairs to find useful information about your destination.
As your Trusted Choice independent agent we can help you get the coverage you need!